Thursday, January 21, 2016

Welcome Annabelle!

A week ago on Thursday night I started feeling some contractions around 5pm while I was getting dinner ready. I went into hyper-overdrive when I realized these could finally be THE contractions that bring our little baby's arrival! I cleaned the house even more, set out clothes for kids, packed my bag, and got several things ready.

I was due on Monday, January 11th. By the time the 12th and 13th rolled around I was feeling awesome and was really wondering if the baby would ever come. It just didn't seem realistically possible. She seemed perfectly content to stay inside forever.

After contractions increased I finally told Kevin around 11pm that I was having contractions. Around 11:30 I started trying to find someone to come over to watch the kids. Around midnight my doctor told us to head to the hospital. My contractions were 4-5 minutes apart but nothing intense or painful and my water hadn't broken yet.

Our awesome neighbors Stefanie & Graham manned our kiddos and Stef slept on our couch all night.

We arrived at the hospital at 12:30am and got checked in. I felt like going over paperwork took 2 hours. Contractions were still light but since I had Strep B they hooked me up to an IV for antibiotics and we got the epidural started right when contractions got more intense. I was at about a 4 when we arrived.

Our awesome nurse Rose made both Kevin and I extremely comfortable and by 2:30am we were both able to drift off to sleep a little. My epidural was great on one side and too intense on the other, so half my body was asleep and I hated it! I had them turn it down a bit and that helped.

At around 6:30am the nurse came in and mentioned how intense my contractions were and she checked me and I was at a 10 and ready to have a baby! She told me to hold tight and she'd get the doctor.

My doctor (that delivered both Ryan & Catie) happened to be on call till 7am (hurray) so she arrived at 6:50, I pushed for a few minutes, and the baby was born at 6:59am! It was a very easy delivery, thank goodness!

We hung out with the baby for a few hours in the labor room and then they sent us up to the maternity ward to get cozy in my new room.

We chatted about baby names and finally decided on the name Annabelle Elise Buskirk! Her middle name is after my twin sister Elise. I am lucky to have Elise as my best friend and couldn't think of a better person to have my little baby girl look up to and have as her namesake. The name Annabelle was inspired by Anna Kristine, one of Kevin's ancestors.

Elise flew in Friday morning and helped watch the kiddos after Stefanie had manned the fort for more than enough hours. I was so grateful that she was able to come and help! Later in the day she brought me Mrs. Fields cookies and a big diet coke to celebrate our new little baby! My friend Jaicy also came to visit!

On Friday afternoon while Elise hung out with me and Annabelle, Kevin hung out with the kiddos and took them to Chic-Fil-A and then brought them over for a quick hospital visit to meet their baby sister. They were so cute!! Catie beelined over to the couch immediately and asked to hold Annabelle right away. Andrew sat next to her and wanted a turn next. Ryan was distracted by the fun hospital bed and my computer but was bribed to come over with some chocolate :) (whatever works).

All three kids ate cookies and had fun playing with the hospital bed. We had them stay for about 20 minutes and then sent them home.

Later in the evening Elise brought me dessert from Cheesecake Factory that I INHALED and then Jessie and Ben came up to visit too!!

The night ended with a quick visit from Kevin and then a LONG night with just me and Annabelle at the hospital while she cried, ate, or was just wide awake all night. I was happy when the morning arrived!

All in all I think our first day with Annabelle was a success!! Can't believe we have 4 kids now! Crazy!

No comments: