Pages

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Super Tuesday!

I am typically not the most political person... and usually it all comes down to pure laziness. I am very bad about turning in forms or registering for things... so this year my darling husband made the whole voter registration process easy for me. He printed out my registration forms, handed them to me to sign, and then mailed them for me. I was so excited when my voter registration arrived and I could actually vote... or at least I was excited until I realized that I would have to go vote at 7am ...otherwise the polls would close before I got home from work. I woke up extra early on Tuesday (around 5:30am) to get ready for the day and then I headed out the door around 6:45. I was determined to be one of the first people to vote so that I could hurry and get to work and miss traffic.

Fortunately, the place we vote is just in the rec room at an apartment complex on our street, so I didn't have to go far. I arrived at exactly 6:52am. The little old man running the show made sure to let me know that we still had 7 minutes left until the polls would open. I waited and waited and entertained myself by watching the little old man and his wife get things prepared for the big voting day. They gave out assignments to their younger helpers. As it got closer to 7am, the man started counting down a bit and said, "1 minute and a half until the polls open." At this point one other girl had joined me in line. We watched the clock and 7am came and went. Finally the old man realized he was behind scheduled and announced, "the polls are officially open." He then invited me into the voting room and I got to be the witness to check out all the ballot boxes and swear that they were empty when voting started. I felt very important. :-) Then I went through the exciting process of signing in. It was hysterical because all of their pens were brand new... which meant none of them worked or were warmed up yet. After several tries to write my signature, I got my ballot and headed to the voting booth. I squinted as I tried to read all the information on each measure before I voted. The little man came over and was so confused by the new fangled lights on the voting booth... after several minutes he realized he'd forgotten to plug the lights in! No wonder I couldn't see :-) I had a good laugh as I finished up voting and turned in my ballot using the "privacy sleeve" I was given. I was so proud of myself for getting out and voting and not being my usual lazy self!

The other highlight of Super Tuesday was a trip to Cheesecake Factory with my old roommate SP. I love almost all of my old roommates and SP and I always have so much fun chatting together. I have discovered a new favorite dish at Cheesecake Factory... or at least a new variation on an old favorite- mashed potatoes with cheese! They are delicious! My favorite thing to get is a side of mashed potatoes with cheese and a side of broccoli. The waiter was going on and on about how healthy of a meal I was eating and SP and I just laughed b/c the mashed potatoes were DROWNING in cheese (definitely not healthy!). The real reason I go to Cheesecake Factory though is the free bread. I could eat both loaves (brown and sourdough) without even blinking... so it's fortunate that I usually go with at least one other person and I have to share. :-) What a great way to end Super Tuesday! I even got a Linda's Fudge Cake to take out. I've learned that if I split it up and eat it over 3 days, then the calorie amount isn't as insanely high. I'm already excited to have my next helping tomorrow :-) Good thing I bought some new running shoes today!

1 comment:

Bryant said...

Congratulations on contributing to the political process. All my co-workers vote by mail, but I kind of like going to the polling place and casting my vote--even if every election day leaves me questioning the intelligence of my fellow Americans.