Pages

Thursday, May 8, 2008

Fun Times in the Elevator

Andrew and I had a little adventure yesterday as we headed out on our walk. I loaded up my jogging stroller w/ the car seat and usual travel items and we headed to the elevator. I pressed the button for the first floor and jokingly said to Andrew, "hopefully the door opens once we go down" (since it didn't last week and we were stuck for about 3 minutes). This time we got to the first floor and nothing happened. I pressed the buttons again and again to open the door and we just sat there. I tried pressing the 2nd floor button, hoping maybe it would let us out on the 2nd floor...but we just went up again and still the doors didn't open. I could hear people by the mailboxes, so I banged on the doors and yelled, but nobody could hear us. I tried using my phone to call Kevin or closeby friends, but no calls went through and my phone showed that I had no service. Usually, I would panic, but since I've taken the "if ye are prepared ye shall not fear" scripture literally, I knew I had enough diapers (at least 10), clothes (at least 3 outfits), blankets, water bottles, etc. with me, so we would be fine for a few hours. I was just sad I'd forgotten my usual bag of chocolate goodies!

After quickly planning the next few hours in my head, I noticed there was an emergency call button on the elevator control panel...so I called. I was excited to discover that you actually talk to a real person. After she had me try a few things and the door still wasn't opening, she said they'd send out an elevator technician to come rescue us and fix the problem. Yay! She also said she'd call Kevin to let him know what was happening... can you imagine getting that call at work?!

Fortunately, since my camera is glued to my hand these days, we got pictures while we waited for help-about 10 minutes or so till we got out...so not too long :) It was quite a crazy day! I will no longer take the elevator... so my arms are getting quite buff as I carry our BOB jogging stroller up the stairs.



(Andrew: My mom is CRAZY taking pictures at a time like this!)


(No, it wasn't that dark in the elevator...I just covered the flash by accident)

7 comments:

Jenny said...

scary! i think i'd still take my chances in the elevator; i have to take our jogging stroller down the stairs and it is a major pain.

Laura said...

I've always wondered what it would be like to get stuck in an elevator. Glad to know the emergency buttons actually work! And especially glad you were prepared in case you'd gotten stuck for more than 10 minutes. :-)

kt said...

wow! I'm glad that everything was okay !!!!

Candice said...

Nice job staying calm. I totally would have freaked out. I also would not have been that prepared to be stuck in an elevator for that amount of time.

liesl said...

zoiks! I'm glad your condo has been paying their elevator dues or whatever. That would have been scary. I locked myself out of our apartment once when Sarah was a baby and I ran out to get a package from the UPS man and forgot to take my keys. Allen had to walk home from work to rescue us. I was sadly not prepared as you were and Sarah messed her diaper and was extremely unhappy about it. Luckily there was a nice lady upstairs who had a baby only a few weeks older and she gave us changing things and a more comfy place to wait. I'm glad you guys didn't have a harrowing experience.

The Bond Family said...

Crazy! I can't believe that happened. Luckily you weren't stuck for hours - that would have been SO frustrating. Andrew is so incredibly cute and you look great too. Miss you!

heather said...

we got stuck in the sunnyvale target elevator for about 30 minutes once...and no one came to help us. we eventually got the doors open and climbed out...it was about 4 inches lower than the ground floor.