Pages

Thursday, June 26, 2008

Cooking up a storm!

Our church has a Cooking group that I'm helping organize. This week I demonstrated two different salads... one totally tasted like the Cafe Rio salad that I love- it had a delicious lime-cilantro vinaigrette that was so fun to make! If you're looking for some good salad recipes... or other recipes, this website, LSW Cooking Group Recipes, will be updated every month depending on our theme. I'm really excited about the group of ladies that have been coming b/c they're teaching me a lot AND we get to experiment with new recipes... and you all know that I need to learn how to make "real" food :) since chocolate isn't really a basic food group. Kev loves it when we meet at our place b/c then he gets to eat all the leftovers. It's great!

If anyone has any favorite salads recipes or other good normal meal recipes that don't require too much prep, definitely pass them along.

1 comment:

evelania said...

I have to say I really like this site, they have all their topics categorized on the right and give great directions and pictures (they have a few salads):
http://the-daily-bite.blogspot.com/. I found another recipe from another blog but I don't know if I have enough room to post it here but I'll try:

Cabbage Salad

1 cabbage, sliced & shredded
2-3 green onions
1 - 4 oz. pack of sliced almonds, toasted. Not burned, ok Jess?
1 pack Ramen noodles, crunched

Dressing:
1/2 c. oil (vegetable or canola)
3 T. sugar
3 T. rice vinegar
1 packet spices from Raman noodles, I prefer chicken flavored
pepper
salt
garlic powder
cayenne powder (optional)

Mix dressing, Ramen noodles and almonds in right before serving.

We also had an Orange Salad.

Orange Dressing:
1/3 c. olive oil, light
2 T. red wine vinegar
3 T. sugar
zest from 1 orange
juice from 1 orange
garlic powder to taste
salt and pepper to taste

Salad:
Italian lettuce, Romaine
Sliced oranges
Craisins
Candied pecans or walnuts (To candy nuts, roast then in a pan with butter and brown sugar)

Have fun!