Pages

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Happy 50th!

Last week my mom turned 50. A few months ago Elise and I and my dad decided that we should throw her a surprise 50th birthday party. My mom is always doing nice things for other people and ALWAYS buys the perfect presents, calls or sends you a cute card at just the right time when you're feeling down, and is always available to talk when you need a friend. Now that I'm a mother, I have gained an even greater appreciation for the sacrifices that my mom has made for me and my siblings over the years... so I really wanted to do something special for her this year for her birthday. The party was a complete success! Elise spent hours slaving away making delicious desserts and shopping for party supplies and then on Saturday once we all arrived we got started setting up for the party. My dad's birthday present to my mom was a shopping trip... so that was the perfect way to get my mom out of the house for several hours. Scott, Jessie, Cat (Scott's girlfriend), Elise & Dan, Kevin, and I all worked together to get the house ready for the party. About 60-70 of my mom's friends from NJ (that have since moved to Utah), friends from the neighborhood here, and family members all came to celebrate with us. Here are a few pictures from the night.

(waiting for Jules)

(my cousin Janelle w/ her husband Jeremy and little Brody)

(Surprise!!)

(Dad wishing mom a "Happy Birthday" and welcoming the guests)

(Awesome party coordinators)

(Cannon family- Scott and Karee were visiting from Arizona-
my mom was so surprised to see them!!)

(Andrew hanging out with grandpa)

(Scott and Cat)


(birthday cupcakes)

(newlyweds Wayne & Courtney w/ Elise & Dan)

(Elise making sure all the desserts are perfect)

(Andrew sleeping through the craziness!)

(Mom with all the NJ ladies that have moved west)
(Elise, mom, Janice, and Cat)

(Grandma & Grandpa partying w/ Andrew)

(Kev's siblings all came and joined us- Left to right-
Liesl & Leah, Allen, Shauna, Randy, me, Kev)

One of the best parts of the party was all the great food... especially the desserts! (Great work Elise!!) We had NY Cheesecake w/ cherries, a big chocolate cupcake b-day cake, mini cupcakes, fruit trifle, cookie bars, mint brownies from the BYU creamery, ooey gooey brownies made by Elise, Cowboy caviar, chips & salsa, 7 layer bean dip, turkey wraps, onion dip, veggies, tons of fruit, etc.
(delicious dessert table!)

Happy 50th Birthday mom! Hope the next 50 years are even better than the first!

4 comments:

Jenny said...

what a fun surprise! that party looked amazing!

Bryant said...

Wait. Leah is Kev's sibling. How did that happen?

Liz said...

How exciting! It sounds like the party was a huge success. The desserts look delicious. What is Cowboy Caviar? Was your mom totally surprised?? Happy Birthday, Julie!

Heather said...

We have pretty Moms, huh? I really hope I look as good as they do when I turn 50! Sorry I missed such a fun night.