Pages

Saturday, October 27, 2007

Happy Halloween!

For our Fun Friday activity yesterday the little people decorated our classroom for Halloween. They're really into bats and tombstones this year. I organized them into little groups and each group got to be in charge of one area of the room. My super Room Mom sent in decorations for us to use and then the kids also made their own decorations too. It was a GREAT way to end a very crazy week!

The reading corner was their favorite part to decorate. They put plastic spiders all up in the web and they even wrapped some of the web stuff around the doorknob.

They thought the graveyard hanging sheet was awesome... and now I can work at my computer and have some privacy. The colored blobs are the ghosts that they made (and some other stuff that I couldn't figure out).




I am really excited for our class Halloween party this year! My favorite thing that we do on the morning of Halloween is crawl under a big table covered with a black sheet and we tell spooky stories. Usually the kids try to tell a story that they've written during writers workshop and then I also have guest readers come into the class to read spooky stories. Since the goals for many of the kids are related to sequencing, retelling, telling stories with a beginning, middle, and end, speaking in complete/clear grammatically correct sentences, etc. I'm actually still teaching the whole time and they don't even realize it. It's really dark under the table so the reader shines a flashlight under his/her chin to make it even creeper. There are some definite squabbles under the table as everyone fights for a good spot to lie down, but it's still everyone's favorite activity!

Last year I attempted to have the little people do pumpkin math activities where we carved pumpkins, took out the seeds, counted them, did math projects with them, measured the pumpkins, etc. Since most of the little people couldn't count past 50 and didn't know how to measure with a ruler consistently, the activity mostly just gave the adults huge headaches! We might try again... or else we'll just do my usual favorite Halloween math activity- M&Ms Math! I'll take advantage of any opportunity to use chocolate as I teach :-)

If you have any other fun Halloween activity suggestions for me to try, definitely pass them along!

1 comment:

Jenny said...

it sounds like you are such a good teacher, i bet the kids love you!