Pages

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Some Sweetness for the Pain

Every time Andrew falls down or hurts himself, we usually try to distract him with a small piece of candy. He's still in the looking like a walking drunk man stage... so this tactic seems to work well so far. I equate it to how my dad paid Scott $10 every time he got hit in the arm by a pitcher when he was at bat. It kind of sweetens the pain a bit.


I think I might need to invest in some Cadbury stock, Who knew he'd fall this much? Today I was sitting RIGHT NEXT to him and he tried to pull himself up on this evil contraption.


Obviously, not a smart idea. Poor kid wound up with a small cut (from a ball popper?) and a little swollen eye.


I used my fabulous physical restraint techniques to keep the little guy still while I tried to put ice on his eye and force feed him swedish fish at the same time. He seemed to really enjoy it all... except the being restrained part (who knew my training would come in handy as a mom? :)).


Kevin is hopeful that he doesn't start trying to fall down just to get candy.

2 comments:

Liz said...

I've done the same with Grace. Let me just tell you that she works the system for a "bean" when she gets hurt. For weeks she complained of a knee ache. We were at the doctor's for another reason, but I had the doctor look at her knee. Mysteriously the knee didn't hurt. I realized that Grace was just complaining of a knee ache to get a treat.

All that said, I say bring on the treats! They make us happy when we are sad, so keep letting Andrew have them when he gets hurt. That looked like a pretty serious bump from the ball blower. Poor thing!

Kim and Julie said...

Scott quickly figured out the financial benefit of getting hit by a pitch. So he'd be both crying and smiling while standing on first base. However, because it always hurt, I never noticed him intentionally trying to get hit. Andrew's a smart little guy so I suspect he will be in the same boat. Grandpa Kim