Pages

Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Blessed with the Gift of Gab

My mom and dad have gifts that allow them to feel comfortable talking to anyone, anywhere. My mom can talk to a wall (or herself) and have an awesome conversation. I'm grateful to be slowly developing this gift too. It is especially useful when you work with teenagers that either like to talk a lot, or that are silent and require you to do all the talking.

Tonight I went with my mom's young women to the Oquirrh Mountain Utah Temple Open House for their weekly Wednesday night activity.

The temple is gorgeous and is nearby a really really pretty neighborhood that reminded me of the East Coast.


My mom and I spent the drive up to the temple chatting with the girls. Then we went on a tour of the temple and then hit up the Open House reception for some good chocolate chip cookies. We also took a few pictures... not the cutest, but you can see the temple.


After that, we took the girls to Baskin and Robbins for some ice cream. One of the girls can't eat gluten (so the cookies did not cut it for her)... so we couldn't let her go home without a treat ;)

Then my mom left me and the YW and headed up to Cottonwood Heights to hang out with Elise. I spent the rest of the 40 minute drive home with girls that I barely knew. Some people might have felt uncomfortable with that... but after working with nonverbal kids with autism for awhile who didn't respond back, a few quiet teenagers isn't scary at all.

This is why I feel very fortunate to be blessed with the "gift of gab." Two of them were pretty quiet, but by the end all three of them were pretty chatty. I love listening to teenagers talk, especially after a trip to a place as incredible and spiritual as a temple...

It was a great evening. I was reminded of how grateful I am for temples and how incredible the young women's program is- wherever you go in the world... there are Mormon young women gathering together, strengthening one another, and uplifting other people- it is remarkable.

If you want to know more about Mormon temples... check out this video:



If you want to know more about the Young Women's program, you can check out this link.

It was so fun to hang out with such wonderful young women and know that there are equally as incredible young women in my ward back in California that I love hanging out with. Can't wait to see them this Sunday!

1 comment:

E J said...

broni lives in that neighborhood! I knew you would like it