Pages

Sunday, January 11, 2009

A little experimenting...

Can anyone guess what I'm making?


I have never baked anything this crazy looking before... but it seems I'll have to bake some more another night. I was attempting to try out a recipe for red velvet cupcakes. I don't think they ended up tasting very good- kind of like red corn muffins instead of yummy rich delicious deep red chocolatey cupcakes. Kevin liked them, but then, he also ate the pudding I made a few months ago that tasted like chalk and had old milk in it... so I'm not quite sure if his vote can be trusted. The cream cheese frosting at least helped out a bit... but I wasn't about to waste good frosting on nasty cupcakes.


I'll be trying again another night since it's too late to run to the store now to buy another whole bottle of red food coloring. Hopefully next time they taste good. I used this recipe. Anyone have any other good ones? I'm making these for one of the young women's birthdays (it's her favorite). If not, I might just forego slaving away in the kitchen and go buy them at Sprinkles :)

4 comments:

The Mostess said...

I'm with you...those look suspicious!

Boys taste can't be trusted!

Liz said...

I like Paula Deen's red velvet cake. I made it for John's birthday a few years back, and it was tasty. You can find it on the food network website. I figured since red velvet is a Southern food Paula's recipe would be the best. Good luck!!

Molly and Jason said...

Paula Deen's....made it before and it is great!

Unknown said...

Kristina - Here's another recipe from another FoodTV cook. Not certain how it differs from the one you tried, but it looked good on TV (as they always do) ;-) Good luck! --Christian http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/sunny-anderson/grandmas-red-velvet-cake-recipe/index.html