Pages

Thursday, September 24, 2009

Andrew at 18 months... a little belated

Today I felt like a bad mom. We finally went to the doctor for Andrew's 18 month appointment- only about a month late. While we were there, we learned that he was supposed to go for a 15 month appointment... which we had missed. Whoops!

Andrew weighed in at 27 lbs. I swear he has weighed 27 lbs for 5 months now. He is now 33 1/4 inches (almost 3 ft)... although none of their measurements were really exact since he wouldn't stay still. Something about lying on that table freaked him out... or maybe it was the nurse?

He got two shots and cried hard. I felt so bad. Then they told us we got to go downstairs for a blood test. Kevin headed off to work, so I was left alone to restrain Andrew when they drew blood.

We waited and waited for our turn. He was already grumpy from the other shots... and then started to eat the crayons in the waiting room. Super, now he's eating wax and will probably get sick because he touched toys and crayons in the waiting room.


Then he got his blood test. Me and two other nurses had to restrain him. He is a strong little guy. He screamed and cried louder than I have ever heard him scream before... and they drew 2 vials of blood. Poor boy!! He got a cool Nemo sticker, two lollipops, and got to ride in the elevator, so his frown turned upside down pretty quickly.


He was grumpy and clingy a good chunk of the rest of the day and took 2 hours to take his afternoon nap. It was one of those days when I really just wanted to watch Elmo all afternoon with him. In fact, he watched at least 2 movies and I read a book while sitting next to him for part of the time. That is how bad of a mom I am.

I did take him to two parks, played toys, danced, and played ball with him for an hour or so... but by the end of the afternoon I had run out of stuff to do. I am just not a creative mom! What else is there to do? Probably tons, but I couldn't think of ANYTHING today.

I was so happy when it was 6:30 and time for dinner and then was even happier when Kevin rolled in around 7:45 so I could hang out with another adult. Andrew is going through a really exhausting separation anxiety stage right now where he cries and cries if he can't see me and says, "mama, mama, mama" over and over again- even if I am in another room. When I have to go to the bathroom he has a major meltdown. It makes me sad sometimes and other times it really makes me laugh. I try to hide the giggles. I feel like a bad mom when I have to go places though. I am glad that I know it is only a stage and he'll get out of it soon.

Motherhood is always amazing to me because I feel like I get dumber every day and more aware of all the things I am not doing... or am not doing well. Hopefully I'll feel like a better mom tomorrow! If not, we'll be heading back to the library to get more movies!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

you are a great mom! i'm pretty sure everyone has those days. i don't remember kate ever getting tons of blood drawn, that sounds intense!

it's too bad that whole separation anxiety thing hits its peak right when it's time for them to start going to nursery!

Liz said...

You are not a bad mom!!! 2 parks in one day?? I can't remember the last time I took my kids to the park. It's hard and exhausting entertaining kids all day. The constant need to see you makes it even worse. Don't be too hard on yourself. And for crying out loud, if I didn't have movies for my kids to watch I'm pretty sure I would have lost it by now!