Pages

Sunday, May 9, 2010

Lacrosse Tourney in Scottsdale

Last Wednesday morning we headed off to Scottsdale, Arizona for the US Lacrosse WDIA National Championship. Our little sister Jessie plays on BYU's women's lacrosse team and this was her last season playing, so we enjoyed getting to cheer her on in all her games all week long.


BYU started off the tournament playing Florida and beating them 13-9. Elise, Maddie, Andrew, mom and I were the only ones that were able to make that game. The field set up was great... with a big pile of rocks and another big hill right by the field. Andrew entertained himself while we watched the game and drank lots of water!

On Thursday night BYU played Lindenwood (#2 seeded team). The game was amazing. The girls ran so fast... this picture is the perfect portrayal of the game. BYU was winning almost the entire game, but lost their steam with about 5 min left and ended up losing 9-12. :(



This is Andrew cheering and yelling when BYU made one of their big goals against Lindenwood. Andrew kept yelling "Go Cougars!" and "Go Jessie Go!" When Jessie would score, he would explode and screaming really loud. The rest of the time he ran around and was chased by Scott, Cat, or my dad (who all arrived on Thursday).


Cute lacrosse girl after the sad Lindenwood loss... Andrew cheered her up pretty quick though.


We also watched Santa Clara get killed by Colorado (a huge upset), and Andrew turned Jessie's lacrosse stick into an instrument and ran around blowing it...


Hopefully this week brainwashed Andrew into wanting to play lacrosse in the future.


On Friday the game we watched was at 11:30am. It was so hot already, so we lathered tons of sunblock on Andrew (who then looked like an albino for the rest of the day). My mom also bought this awesome sun chair that we took turns using. Andrew still mostly ran around while we watched the games.


BYU played pretty well, but ended up losing 11-12 to Santa Barbara. :( It was such a close game and BYU was winning off and on the entire game. They could've totally beaten Santa Barbara, so we were bummed with the loss.


We were so hot, so after the game we quickly escaped for Jamba Juice and naps back at my Uncle Karl's winter house in Scottsdale's Desert Mountain.


Later in the day we headed down to Mesa to meet up with my Grandma Ewart and go to dinner at Matta's- a longtime favorite family restaurant. My Uncle Karl even flies up frozen chile rellenos to Utah from there, since he loves them so much.

Andrew kept Grandma entertained at dinner.


The cheese crisps appetizers there are soooo good!


Andrew ate more food at Mattas than he ate the entire week long!


Such a ham!


On Saturday morning we headed to our last lacrosse game, BYU vs UC Davis. Once again, the Cougars played hard and fought for the win... they even were down by 4 points, caught up, and then were tied... but then UC Davis got a goal with 26 seconds left in the game.

BYU ended the tournament in 8th place. We were really proud of them for making it to the tournament. When Elise & I were on the BYU team, we never made it to Nationals, so I was so excited to go and support Jessie this year. I am so sad that her season is over! She is such an awesome player and captain.

Andrew had a blast stealing lacrosse sticks from the other kids


Jessie's biggest fan (along with dad)... who cheered her on all year

The whole fam at Saturday's game (including my Uncle Gregg)- ignore how nasty I look. I was woken up at 3am and still didn't manage to shower and get ready before the 8am game.


Saturday afternoon, Mom, Andrew and I joined Jessie and the rest of the BYU lax team to cheer for Cal Poly at the Championship game. Cal Poly was playing Colorado (Jessie's enemy :)), so we had to cheer against them. The game was at 1pm... which was INSANELY sunny and hot. I felt so bad for the girls. We got giant sodas filled with pellet ice and sat and watched while they played. Andrew kept cheering for the Cougars and Jessie... even though she was sitting right next to him.

Andrew had fun hanging out with Jess and the other BYU girls.


Occasionally he would come under the covered chair with me.


He loved taking breaks from watching the game to kiss Grandma's "boo boos" (he is obsessed with them and band-aids lately... since mom and I have gotten hurt several times in the past few days). The best was when I fell backwards at the airport on top of our suitcase and car seat and scraped up my hands and knees (right before our flight). The airport gave me lots of band-aids though and even had someone come make sure I was ok- prob for liability sake.



It kept getting hotter and hotter, so we finally left. Cal Poly ended up losing to Colorado State 4-6 (so sad)! We ended the day with some time in front of the air conditioning fan thing and more sodas... before we headed to the airport.


Another favorite from last week in AZ was my first trip to Paradise Bakery. I am now a huge fan... any meal than comes with cookies, is awesome. I already can't wait to go back. We went two times while we were in Arizona.


Now it is time to get back to reality and the daily grind... after almost 2-1/2 weeks on vacation. I am going to miss having so many people to run around after Andrew. I AM looking forward to getting back on a semi predictable schedule though. Andrew does so much better with schedules and consistent bedtimes and naps. We got to see some CRAZY tantrums in the past few weeks and although they are very entertaining... they aren't my favorite. I'm worried if he keeps it up the way he's been going, his vocal chords are going to be destroyed by the time he is three.

Congrats again Jessie for such an awesome season!

2 comments:

JerzyGrl said...

There is a Paradise Bakery right around the corner from my house. We will have to go there for lunch next time you guys are out here.

Spencer and Mackenzie said...

what a fun trip! I seriously considering coming down for it, but I just couldn't muster up the energy/confidence to travel across the country alone, 8 mo pregnant, and with a toddler. I know, lame!

And yes, congrats Jessie for an awesome season!