Pages

Thursday, August 27, 2009

This is Your Life Bishop

This week Andrew & I flew out to Utah to surprise my dad. The youth in his ward surprised him by creating a evening activity all about him. One of the YW created a video called "This is your life Bishop Smith." It was beautifully done. Several members of our family were able to be there.


My dad was very surprised when his two favorite grandchildren walked into the room. He thought he was there to host a game night for the YM/YW.

We saw lots of old pictures in the video and heard some great stories about my dad... several which we had never heard about before. My favorite was the litter club that he and a few friends created in high school. They only allowed girls to be members. At the first club meeting there were almost 40 girls and the 4 guys that organized the club. The YM in my dad's ward thought he was a genius.

The YW responsible for the night also sent about a hundred letters out to my dad's friends from all over. She gave him an enormous box full of letters from high school friends, college roommates, old Bishops, friends from NJ, and primary kids and families from his current ward. We shed a lot of tears last night as he read through the letters.

I have always known that my dad was phenomenal, so it was fun to see that the youth in his ward love him almost as much as I do!

Little man had fun playing at the church after the program. He especially loved running around the gym with his grandpa and playing the piano.


Andrew was so excited to see his Grandpa... he calls him "pappa" with a little tiny g-sound at the beginning. He ran around trying to find his grandpa and sit with him all night.



It was such a special experience to spend the evening with my dad!

No comments: