Pages

Saturday, January 30, 2010

The Dinner Challenge


Those of you that know me well know that I mostly subsist on chocolate and potatoes. Obviously that isn't a healthy option for a growing almost 2 year-old... and his 30 year-old (gasp! almost 31 year-old) dad.

Although I love good meals, when 5 or 6pm rolls around, there's usually nothing very special on the table... especially since it's usually just me and Andrew eating.

Now that Kevin is actually home for dinner most nights, I am challenging myself to make good meals for a full week. I hope I survive. ;) They won't even be hard or too creative of meals... but they will be ready when Kevin gets home, they'll taste good, and we'll eat together.

This first week will consist of...
- Chili (we'll do a meaty version and a vegetarian version for me) and cornbread
- Mexican Manicotti
- Baked Ziti and corn
- Homemade pizza and salad
- Stuffed shells
and a night full of leftovers.

Don't laugh too hard. For many of you, this sort of thing is simple... for me... I'd rather spend the time playing, running, and crafting and then make a little pasta-roni and chicken nuggets when it is dinner time.

Wish me luck! If you have simple favorite things you make (emphasizing the word simple), pass them along... I need more ideas.

7 comments:

Stephanie said...

One of my favorite dinner sites
http://thisweekfordinner.com/
good luck with dinner -- the Kristina I remember favors M&Ms or Mrs. Fields for dinner

Leanie said...

Hey there Kristina,
Well, I have 5 kids under 6! So I know exactly what you mean about easy, healthy meals.
One of my easiest meals that I make is a roast.
It is a meal I can just throw in the oven and leave for an hour or two, then it is done.
It needn't be a roast with all the trimmings - I will roast a piece of pork or beef or a whole chicken along with potatoes and carrot and or pumpkin.
Then, heat up some frozen peas and you've got everything you need!
Then the cold meat can be used for lunch or on a pizza or sometimes I use the left over beef in a curry. I always use the chicken to make soup for the next meal or lunch.
Good luck with your challenge!
Love Kathleen

Jenny said...

oh i'm with you on that one. i hate making dinner...but i do like eating it!

i also really like that thisweekfordinner.com website your friend posted.

good luck!

kt said...

This is a really easy recipe and SO GOOD (and vegetarian)! Even meat lovers don't miss the meat in this one:

Black Bean & Corn Quesadillas:
http://kt-recipe-box.blogspot.com/2008/06/black-bean-and-corn-quesadillas.html

JerzyGrl said...

Check out this blog my friends write (including Sarah who you just met), there are sometimes easy dinner ideas: http://lescuisinieres.blogspot.com/

RC Cola said...

Now that I am a stay at home mom I have been cooking dinners and making lunches for Rick each day. However, I think with 5 different meals a week you guys are going to end up with too many left overs. I usually do 2 meals a week and that seems to be just enough for us. Monday and Tuesday night I cook a meal, Wed. nothing since we both have church until 9:00, Thursday is left overs, Friday is date night and dinner out. Good luck.
Are you guys planning on going to LDS night with the Warriors and Jazz on Feb. 19th? If so email me, we will be there too! I'd love to see you guys if you are there.

Laura said...

I'm with Corene, you don't need to cook dinner 5 nights a week. I usually do 2-3 plus Sunday and that seems to be plenty with just 1kid who doesn't eat much. One of my favorite non-meat dishes is a vegetable casserole. Make a cheese sauce (melt 4 Tbsp butter in a pot, whisk in 4 Tbsp flour, cook a minute or two, then slowly whisk in 2 cups milk. bring to a boil then take off the heat, add about 2cups grated cheddar cheese and salt, pepper, and onion powder to taste).Cook some potatoes in the microwave, cut them into chunks, then add the potatoes, sauce and whatever other veggies you like to a casserole dish. I usually do cauliflower, peas, and broccoli. Sprinkle parmesan on top if you want, then bake at 350 for 20 minutes or so. Good with fruit or a salad.