Pages

Monday, January 18, 2010

Making Progress

The reason I love 3-day weekends is because I can be lazy on Saturday, keep the Sabbath Day holy on Sunday, and then still get stuff done on Monday before Kevin goes back to work.

Today I tackled our office. I had about 10 boxes of teaching stuff to go through. I sorted and organized and got a lot of my stuff to fit in the office closet. Being able to see all the teaching books that I have is beautiful to me... now I can actually find them when I need them. I have tons of books about early childhood education and teaching preschool that I've been looking for. Now I can easily access them.


We made some progress on the room too... it is no longer completely covered with boxes...


although I don't think Kevin likes this hallway scene much either (they are all empty though) :)


We also made some progress towards getting our living room furnished. We spent all day Saturday looking at couches and rugs (the ones that were my favorites- here and here- were of course too expensive for our budget, even with the great sale going on... so we kept looking).

We finally decided on this rug after a lot of looking... once it arrives and we confirm that we love it, we'll start looking for furniture that works with the colors. It is very similar to the rug in our family room... just somewhat different colors, so I'm pretty sure it'll look amazing in the living room, especially with the dark wood (cross my fingers).


I am struggling with finding a couch in a store that I like. I know what I want... but I can't really find it anywhere (think White House decor in the tv show West Wing- classic/traditional style, although antiques don't work in our house). I get frustrated driving to stores, spending 30 minutes (or less) looking around and not liking anything. If you have good couch store suggestions in the Bay area, pass them along. So far we've checked out Bassett, Macys, Sofa Outlet, Pottery Barn, and Restoration Hardware. I want to go check out Flegels too... please send more suggestions!

I am so excited that we are finally making progress though!

4 comments:

Bruce and Christie said...

I haven't seen West Wing but have you tried Crate and Barrel. They have some couches with nice modern lines :)

Kara said...

I'm glad that you're making progress! I bet it feels so good to get stuff put away and organized. Moving sucks and the lingering boxes are even worse. I love the rug you got and i hope that it works well. I'm sorry you can't find what you're looking for in the couch department, its hard to know exactly what you want and then not be able to find it. Good luck!! I'm its out there somewhere!

Heather said...

You're house looks adorable! I'm so happy for you guys. Congrats!

Liz said...

Isn't there a Restoration Hardware Outlet in Tracey? I know you tried the store, but maybe the outlet would have some options. Also, there is a store called Giorgi Brother's in South San Francisco. We got our bedroom furniture there. Maybe they have something you like...