Pages

Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Toddlers and Talents

We had our Virtues Class Potluck and Talent Show today.

Maybe Andrew's talent should've been to show how many chocolate chip cookies he could eat in 5 minutes? I think he would've impressed everyone.


Instead, after listening to several renditions of "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" and the "ABC song", Andrew was pumped to have his time to shine. He sat down with his drum and drumsticks all excited for his turn. His started pounding away and then one of the babies crawled over and had the gall to touch his drum. Mr. Drama Queen screamed, "MINE!!" and just cried and cried. His big moment was over. He couldn't get past the interruption.

I wasn't expecting him to do anything (despite practicing his drum solo/Beatles song rendition all morning). I had a feeling he would choke when it came down to performing in public... so I didn't take it too personally.

I was kind of glad I didn't... especially after watching one mom totally get mad at her kid because he wouldn't sing "Old MacDonald" by himself for the talent show. Seriously people, they're 2 and 3 years old. Give them a break and roll with the punches. Your self esteem should not be tied up in how well your 2-year old performs "Old MacDonald."

The best thing I've learned about having a toddler is that usually they find a way to mess up your plan or change your expectations. Often, it just makes things a little more fun... sometimes it is annoying, but, that's what having kids is all about.

That being said... if Andrew had performed true to usual form and played the drums while singing "2 Little Blackbirds" and "I wanna hold your hand" at the top of his lungs in front of everyone, I would've been proud... and I probably would've felt like I should take credit for it :)

Instead, my little dude made me proud by inhaling three chocolate chip cookies. Two of which he snuck when everyone else was cooperating and performing their "talent."

2 comments:

Jenny said...

ha! so true! i hope i've never been the old macdonald mom, but it's a good reminder :)

Liz said...

Well said! Life is all about rolling with the punches and having kids is a CONSTANT reminder of this!