Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

A Family 4th

My Grandma and Grandpa Brown are two of my favorite people on the planet! They are energetic and happy and always look for the positive in life. I love them so much! A few weeks ago my Uncle Dave passed away suddenly and they were obviously devastated (as was my mom). Dave's Memorial Service was held last Saturday, so we joined my parents and all of my siblings this past weekend and went up to Washington to support my Grandparents and Mom and show our love to them on a sad day.  

The memorial service was beautiful and it was amazing how many neighbors and family members came to support my Grandparents. We loved meeting their neighbors and friends and especially loved reconnecting with family that we haven't seen in awhile.


Funerals always seem to be like mini family reunions... and they remind me that hopefully someday when I pass away, I'll have a similar family reunion in heaven with those who have gone before me, while my family celebrates my life down here on earth.

After the memorial service, we spent the weekend hanging out with Aunts, Uncles, and cousins. We played some of my Grandpa's favorite games- croquet and badminton- and we ate a lot of good food. My favorite part of the weekend was watching Andrew interact with my grandparents.


Grandma and I are very similar. The first things she offered Andrew to eat at her house were ice cream and cookies. :) She quickly became his new buddy. 

Andrew also loved playing croquet with Grandpa and talking with him. Grandpa let Andrew play with his special indoor putting green... so there was a tantrum everytime we had to leave Grandpa's house. :)  



Andrew also discovered another new best buddy this weekend... Aunt Laurel! (I mean, "Grandma Julie," I mean, "Aunt Laurel"). Having a Grandma who is a twin is pretty awesome... and can sometimes be confusing. Fortunately Laurel will answer to "Grandma Julie" and "Aunt Laurel."   


At dinner on Friday night Andrew wouldn't sit with his cousins, he just wanted to sit next to Aunt Laurel and chat with the grownups.

Andrew discovered that Uncle Marc is pretty cool too. He brought pop-its fireworks over on Sunday and they ignited Andrew's new fireworks obsession :) Marc plays a mean game of croquet as well. Kevin does too... and almost got us kicked out of the family when he beat Grandpa Brown ;)


Mostly, we just hung out with everyone all weekend and caught up. After the memorial we went over to Gig Harbor to my Aunt Dian's house and just lounged and ate and ate and ate... and played badminton and croquet. My mom and Marc made an adorable team.


 It has been far too long since we've been up to Washington. 

Marc & Scott

Kevin, Cat, & Laurel

It was sad to say goodbye to everyone at the end of the weekend. I didn't get nearly enough pictures! I can't wait to go visit again!

2 comments:

Jenny said...

I'm so glad you were able to make it out to Seattle for that! I wish I could have gone too. Looks like a great weekend with family.

The Tolberts said...

I am really jealous that you guys all got to go.... that looked like so much fun. I hope that we'll be able to all meet up for a happy occasion soon. We haven't seen your parents in awhile, but I"m sure my kids would be really confused too at the twin thing...super funny.