Pages

Monday, July 5, 2010

A Day at the Fair


This afternoon we took advantage of Kevin being home and headed off to the Alameda County Fair. I have driven by the signs for weeks and have been dying to go, since I don't think I've ever been to a real fair before. I loved it... in fact, Kevin had to practically drag me home like a tantrumy toddler. I could've stayed for several more hours.


Of course we picked an insanely hot afternoon to go. The temperature hit 90+ degrees when we arrived. We started off our visit with a chocolate swirl dipped ice cream cone for me (which I nicely shared with everyone). I could eat one of those every day. Mmm!



Next the boys went on the carousel and I relaxed in the shade.


We spent some time admiring the swings. Andrew is starting to accept the fact that he can't go on them... but he is always sad for awhile and a little pouty.


Next stop- the Ferris Wheel


The sign said Andrew couldn't ride it, but they still let us on, and we loved it- especially the shade, cool breeze, and the view of most of the fairgrounds.



We spent some time watching the Zipper... and Andrew & Kevin discussed how they will definitely be going on that when Andrew is older. Kevin probably told Andrew ten times- "we are going to have so much fun together on these rides when you are older." Sickening is all I could think!


The boys couldn't turn down a hot dog- especially a battered corn dog... we should've bought two... Andrew polished Kevin's off before he even noticed.


Next we checked out the awesome model train exhibit. I loved it because it was indoors and shady... but it was also really amazing how many cool little trains they had- even a small Thomas one.


After the trains we went to AgVenture Park.

Andrew rode mini tractors


Loaded up dump trucks with beans and corn


Played instruments with Kevin


Told everyone it was dinner time!


and learned how to milk a cow (fortunately only water came out)


We also visited the really cute and moderately clean Great American Petting Zoo.


Little man made the best expressions when we were there- especially around the crazy goats... and the deer (kinda weird they had a deer... but it was cool too).


The goats were extra friendly once they discovered we had food for them. They hit Kevin in all the wrong places when they tried to attack him for food.


The goats all assaulted Andrew too. He loved it and was terrified all at the same time.



We also saw some of the livestock exhibits. This was the best one because while we were there the mama pig sat on one of her babies and the baby squealed soooo loud! It was really funny. What a traumatic experience for a baby pig!


Little man did some posing for us


and then wanted to watch the Blues show. This band from Oakland used all his favorite instruments, so he was entranced. Notice the little mini- me Andrew in front of him? So cute!



After exploring most of the park, we headed to the Kids Park for the last 45 minutes. It was probably good we only stayed for a little while... or we would've blown through a little too much cash. I was AMAZED that Andrew could go on so many rides by himself since he is 36 inches... although one ride operator tried to tell me he wasn't tall enough... so I visually showed her that he met her height requirement and argued a little adamantly until she "realized" I was right :)

He did the spinning tea cups (and started to become aware that everyone else was spinning a lot faster than he was by the end of the ride)


Then he rode the cute little choo choo train


He and the other little kid inside were best buds by the end of the ride. They yelled "choo choo express" at each other all the way around and laughed and laughed.


We also went on the shark boats


and ended the day on the cars


I still wanted him to get to go on the flying dumbos and have a pony ride and yada yada... hence the tantrumy toddler in me that almost came out when we were leaving. If it didn't cost $18 for me to park and just get into the fairgrounds, I would almost be tempted to come back another day with Andrew... but since each ride was between $3-5 (per person) once you got in there, I decided we'd done enough. The fair people would be pleased that they sucked someone like me in so well and stole so much of my money in such a short amount of time :)

I love the fair! It reminded me of Charlotte's Web and all the other cute books I have read about fairs. I already can't wait til next year! Andrew talked about his ride on the ferris wheel and choo choo express on the drive home and loved looking through all the thousands of pictures I took of him (the ones I posted are just a small percentage of the pictures I took).

I sure hope I still have energy for all this picture taking with our new little one... otherwise that kid will really feel shafted. Speaking of Baby #2, tomorrow is my ultrasound. Hopefully all is well! I'll post about it tomorrow afternoon.

1 comment:

Liz said...

I love that most/all family outings include ice cream. The fair looks like fun!