Pages

Friday, July 9, 2010

Fun Friday Adventure

Today I had a work meeting down in Palo Alto... so while I had my meeting, Andrew went and had a fun lunch at Google with Kevin. Afterwards, we headed over to Oak Meadow Park in Los Gatos for a little Fun Friday adventure.

We have been invited to many playdates at the park, but somehow we have never made it down. Today was finally the day for a trip! It was Andrew's favorite type of park because it involved trains, firetrucks, airplanes, and a carousel.

We started off with a ride on the carousel.


Then headed to the Billy Jones Wildcat Railroad for a train ride.


While we waited for the train... we watched people go around and around on the carousel again... for some reason Andrew thought it was HYSTERICAL.


Little dude was so excited for the ride that he couldn't even crack a smile... he was very focused.


The train was so cute and the park that we drove around was beautiful!




Andrew is really into blowing bubbles with his mouth lately... so he spent some quality time on our train ride blowing. I got a nice little spit shower :)


We also spent some time at the playground. I am a big fan of playgrounds lately. Andrew can basically climb most structures on his own... and he has strong enough muscles to help himself out and hang if for some reason he happens to slip. I stay close by... but fortunately don't have to be a hovercraft parent anymore. I bring a book to the park every day and actually get to read. It is fabulous.


Before you start thinking I'm a horrible parent because I ignore my kid at the park... (and let him climb things he shouldn't :))


...think of if more along the lines that I help "foster independent skills" and allow for spontaneous social interactions to develop. :) Little five-year-old boys seem to gravitate to Andrew lately (which is nice considering he is mostly friends with three-year-old little girls). Lately he makes friends with these more mature boys and they show him around the park, encourage him to explore with them, let him have turns on things, and even sometimes try to put him on the swings. That is when I usually look up from my book and intervene. Today was no different... he makes friends everywhere.

Little dude is always talking about wanting a "big brother," so now he has found several at the park... makes my job so much easier!

Our favorite playground at the park today... nice and shady

Not to be ignored, he also had two 3-year-old girls running around after him today. They wanted to do everything that he did... and he wanted to do everything that the five-year-old boy did... it was a great sight to watch from my bench in the shade.

The park was the highlight of the day. The drive home with an overtired toddler (during rush hour) who didn't really take a nap was the low light... especially since I can't find my DVD player. The new snack sized McDonald's M&M McFlurry balanced it all out to make the day pretty awesome though.
Here's to another superb summer Fun Friday!

Next week will be filled with a Santa Cruz Beach Trip, Gilroy Gardens, Soccer lessons, and a Bug Class at the Wildlife Museum! I can't wait!!

1 comment:

Liz said...

I'll need to take Grace and George to this park when I get back. And, I'll also be driving through McDonald's soon for a mini McFlurry! Fabulous idea!!