Pages

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Stuff!

When we moved into our new house I didn't have much of a plan for where I wanted to put things. I have slowly moved things over the past few months from where they were stuffed when we first moved in to a more permanent, useful position. I still have way too much to do. Most days I am easily distracted from these jobs by other more fun activities that I'd rather do with Andrew.

Kevin has been rewiring in our house this week and had to clean out one of my rat's nests (aka- craft cupboards). He put everything on the kitchen table. Last night when he was done with wiring he asked if I wanted to put everything back in.

This is only 1/3 of the stuff from one cupboard

I said no... hoping I would somehow get some motivation to organize everything and then make the cupboard look better.

I went and bought some organizers at Target... since throwing money at a problem is usually my favorite thing to do :)


Halfway through the project I just wanted to sit on the couch and eat ice cream... but the piles on my kitchen table haunted me... and I have a babysitter coming over tomorrow who can't see my house in shambles, so I was extra motivated to keep going. The fear of other people seeing how messy I really am is the main reason I actually clean my house.

Cupboard all empty with almost everything out

Since I was already organizing... I decided to do all the drawers and my big long project cupboard as well.

Now everything is organized in little bins... and I've thrown out enough stuff so now I have a lot more space to buy even more things. I can probably fit six more bins in this cupboard :)


Now I actually know things like... I have 25 foam paintbrushes and 15 glue sticks. I don't need to buy any more ANYTIME soon.


I also cleaned out our "messy" drawer. I believe every house needs a messy drawer to just throw things in. Kevin does not. Because I love him so much, I made the "messy" drawer (and the three other drawers next to it that had also become "messy" drawers) a little tidier.


I am also making cute little labels for all of my containers that say what is inside each bin.

Now our party cupboard is haunting me. I think I might have created an organizing monster. I also have an insane desire to repaper all of our drawers and cupboard shelves. I have a feeling I might be doing that at midnight right before the new baby arrives.

Last time around I didn't get a chance to do any nesting because I was working full-time, they still hadn't found my replacement until like two days before I finished work, and I was training a student teacher who sucked up all of my evening hours. Recall this post the night before Andrew was born and our house was a disaster because we were finally getting ready for him?

This time I plan to be more prepared. Hopefully I can accomplish at least half of what I have planned. 20 weeks to go.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

i'm a big fan of those plastic bins! i am not organized by nature, but i do enjoy putting things in plastic bins. i would recommend not ever re-doing shelf liner. ha. i hate it. never want to see the stuff again. although was that checkered shelf liner in your messy drawer? because that is super cute.

Spencer and Mackenzie said...

just catching up on blogging here - congrats on expecting a GIRL!!!! I'm thrilled for you and I can say, (without much authority because I only have a week under my belt) that it is SO fun to have one of each.

Congrats congrats, Andrew will be a fantastic big brother to the 'baby sister' on the way!

Ashley said...

So impressive! I should be feeling that nesting bug (heaven knows I have some organizing that needs to be done) but I am giving into laziness instead. I am jealous of your storage space and all your bins! I got a labelmaker for Christmas thinking I'd get all organized in our new place . . . haven't opened it yet!

The Mostess said...

I've also been organizing like crazy! It feels so good to clean out junk, and keep all of the stuff you really need. I'm taking a load to Goodwill today!