Pages

Sunday, August 15, 2010

Don't feel sorry for me


I'm typically from the "suck it up" school of thought when it comes to injuries. I am really hoping for a tough girl because after teaching little kids for several years I have decided I can't handle the crying that comes with some little girls.

Andrew's nickname at church is "the tank." He is my style of kid. Minimal crying, no complaining- a tough guy that can be healed with one little kiss on his "boo boos."

Similarly, when it has come to pregnancy I really hate complainers- mostly because I know of SO MANY incredible women who would LOVE to be pregnant and are not. It bugs me when I hear about every single uncomfortable pregnancy symptom that some women have... and they are constantly complaining.

This week I have felt like a complainer and I have been really annoyed with myself. For over a week I have had massive canker sores in my mouth. They get worse when I am stressed (like when Kevin is driving me in SF traffic and tries to get me to go into pre-term labor by scaring me)... or I don't get enough sleep... and they get especially worse when I am pregnant. Whoopee! :)

The last time I had them this bad I was studying for my National Boards and they stayed for over a month. As you all know, my happiness in life comes from eating chocolate. :) Chocolate BURNS canker sores and kills your mouth.

I am struggling to find the positive in this situation... other than maybe if it keeps up I'll gain a little less weight this month? Anyone want to donate me a new mouth? I have an entire bag of Hershey's kisses calling to me... and remember all these treats? Yep, mostly still in my freezer... other than the few I forced myself to eat through the pain.

K, so now do I sound like one of those complainers?? Hopefully this week I can get back on my game. Kevin is going to bring me a black & white cookie back from NYC... and I NEED to be able to enjoy it! :)

6 comments:

Liz said...

That is so sad. I hope your canker sores go away soon. Not to put salt in your wound, pun intended, but doesn't gargling salt water help them heal quicker. I'm sure it doesn't feel good when it's in your mouth, but maybe it speeds up the healing process??

Good luck!

And you are the last person I know that I would ever call a complainer. I wouldn't even call this blog post complaining.

Jenny said...

ooh canker sores are the worst! i always get them around christmas time and then get all mad i can't enjoy the treats so i totally feel your pain!

i agree about pregnancy complainers, but some girls do have it really bad when they are pregnant. i've been lucky that i have a normal amount of sickness and discomfort.

i love your date swap idea! when i've tried that before with friends we always did it earlier in the day and let the kids play...it's even better to just go sit at someone's house once a month when the kids are in bed! i might have to start something like that around here.

Kristina said...

Jenny- totally agree with you. Some people definitely have extra rough pregnancies. I just hate hearing about it every day :)

Kristina said...

Liz- thanks for the reminder about the salt water. Usually I use alum, which also hurts a lot. Trying it now and it is definitely painful :)

Sarah said...

Canker sores! I do hope they clear up soon, especially so you can get back to enjoying treats in your third trimester. I really can't believe you are in your third trimester either.

Alie said...

I have some canker sores now too! They are the worst- esp when you want to eat certain foods... and it makes them worse! Good luck feeling better!