Pages

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Hospitals and Cupcakes

Today we had a tour of the hospital where I'll be delivering Caitlin. I originally thought it wasn't necessary... but then realized I really had no clue even where to go if I were to go into labor... so we figured it might lessen some anxiety :)


We recently got an email telling us that swine flu restrictions were put into place at the hospital starting Oct 19th and that no kids under age 16 could come in. I was really sad... somehow this info didn't transfer in my mind to today's tour... so we were planning to bring Andrew and then I realized he couldn't come with us late last night. After calling several friends and babysitters, we finally found someone free at the last minute to watch Andrew. Of course, when we got to the hospital there were other kids on the tour and we discovered that we'd been sent last year's email and there are NO swing flu restrictions this year.

The tour was definitely more peaceful without Andrew, but I was sad that he didn't get to come (like hormonal emotional crying sad- ask Kevin :)). Up until yesterday I had been telling Andrew all about how we were going to the hospital and he was SO EXCITED. Today I lied and said Kevin & I were going on errands because he would've been so sad to know he didn't get to come.

I totally got tears in my eyes when I found out he can actually come to the hospital when Caitlin is born. I also cried every time the music played at the hospital that said a baby was born... and I teared up a couple of other times on the tour (walking by the nursery)... hormones are so fun sometimes :)

I also got a little teary-eyed when they told us the hospital's rooming in philosophy and how babies sleep in our rooms at night and don't get sent back to the nursery while the mom's sleep... ahhh not my favorite rule. Kevin might actually have to stay at the hospital with me after all.

We celebrated after the hospital tour with a trip to a new bakery in Walnut Creek called Frosting Bake Shop. It was adorable. My chocolate cupcake with large amounts of cream cheese frosting was delicious! The chocolate obsession cupcake is still waiting on the counter so that we continue the celebrating tomorrow.


3 comments:

The Mostess said...

Don't get tricked!!! Our hospital had the same "room-in" policy, but it turned out it was just a suggestion.

Mini went to the nursery every night, and it made me a much better mom. Seriously. Do it!

Now go and have another good cry! :)

delikk said...

Oh, I'm so glad Andrew can visit you and Caitlin in the hospital!!

Laura said...

Yeah, I'd be surprised if the hospital doesn't let you send her to the nursery. Mine had a room-in policy with Grace, but that just meant you could keep the baby with you if you wanted.