Pages

Sunday, October 24, 2010

Sightseeing on the Run

Last week when I was in NYC I took advantage of the opportunity each morning to work out alone for as long as I wanted. Kevin was usually off to work by 9am... and I would usually try and get up to work out around then (although one morning I slept in until 10am and it was fabulous).

My goal was to hit a different location of the city each morning for my sightseeing workout.


On Tuesday morning I started at my hotel and then ran along the East River down to the Williamsburg Bridge and then back to the hotel. I had a beautiful view of the Queensboro Bridge behind me. The parks were mostly empty except for joggers and bikers. The whole adventure took me almost 2 hours and to be honest I probably only ran for 30 minutes of that time... but the brisk walk also felt great too. I loved it when the homeless men in the park were cheering for me (the large pregnant running lady) and giving me thumbs up as I passed by them.


On Wednesday morning I took the subway up to Central Park. I was supposed to get off at 85th or 86th street... but to our surprise, our subway turned from a local into an express without any warning (except a very quiet announcement)... so I got some extra bonding time with the people on my subway (some that were very angry :)) and then we all had to get off and head back downtown once we finally stopped around 125th street.

Eventually I made it to Central Park and the Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis Reservoir. I don't know how I've never been there before... but the views were breathtaking! My cell phone pictures don't do it justice.


I ran the reservoir and did some other running around the park and then I just explored some of the picturesque spots that are famous in the park.


I LOVE this walkway area ("The Mall"). It wasn't as fall colored as I would've liked, but it was still beautiful.


After my Central Park run/walk adventures (left the hotel at 10:30am... and was done around 1:00pm), I headed down close to Times Square for a black and white cookie and some hot chocolate. My only mistake was sitting down. I learned quickly that if I sat down, getting up to keep walking was nearly impossible and VERY painful. I had planned to walk back to the hotel (probably a little optimistic... since it would've been about 30 blocks from Times Square... and I'd already walked a lot), but instead I rode the subway back and showered before I was off on some more adventures in the afternoon.


By the time my last day in NYC rolled around I was pretty exhausted... but really wanted to get in a run across the Brooklyn Bridge. I also really wanted to walk/run there from my hotel instead of taking the subway because I wanted to explore a bit more. The bridge was about 4 miles from my hotel, so I walked/ran there and then ran across the bridge to Brooklyn and back, and then I walked back to the hotel (dead by that point). The adventure totaled about 10 miles and was SO FUN, despite my exhaustion... and despite the rain! Our last trip across the bridge also involved rain :)

Brooklyn Bridge 2005- the weekend after we got engaged

I thought I would get bored being by myself on this trip... but I really actually never did. :) I ended the trip with a delicious NY salt bagel w/ cream cheese (so yummy!) in SoHo and then I got showered and packed to head to the airport.

Such a great few days!! My last NYC post will be all about my afternoon shopping adventures... I'm sure you're all so excited to hear about them ;) Stay tuned.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

okay you are officially c-razy!! mostly kidding. i am super impressed at your go-getter pregnant attitude!

by the way, i sent macy to the nursery both nights at john muir so i think they are just all talk. you might have to specifically ask for it, which i did :) so happy andrew will get to come visit you in the hospital! we are so so happy to have him over any time you need, don't hesitate to call at all, day or night! i didn't realize until yesterday you were going to have caitlin in walnut creek. i have had really good experiences there both times.

Liz said...

I'm living vicariously through you, so keep the posts coming!

I have to agree with Jenny that you are crazy!!! I can't BELIEVE you did all that walking/running and didn't go into labor. Caitlin must be super obedient already.

Exploring NYC sounds so magical. And even though I think you are a little crazy (but I know I would do the same) I totally agree that running/walking around a city is really the only way to get the full experience.

So glad you had so much fun. Can't wait to see your shopping finds!