Pages

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Relaxing Halloween Sunday

After a crazy Halloweek and an even crazier Halloweekend (which I still have tons to post about)... we decided to stay home and chill today and just have Andrew hand out candy to the trick or treaters.


Last night around 7pm I remembered that I was teaching YWs today... so I whipped up some mummy cookies. The lesson was about self-mastery and I wrapped up Andrew's bitty baby with cords and talked about how we can become bound by our bad habits... so I challenged the girls to pick a bad habit to work on and not become bound like the mummies :) Then I had them symbolically eat their mummies to show that they're going to get rid of a bad habit (gossiping, lying, etc.). The cookies were such a yummy Halloween treat!

After church we relaxed and cleaned up from the tornado that blew through our house over the weekend... and then we had a surprise visit from our Home Teachers.

Later in the evening the missionaries joined us for a Halloween dinner of chili (vegetarian and meaty) and corn bread. Kevin also made them his special hamburgers. These Elders can EAT! We made two different types of cornbread (Kev made one and I made one) and had a contest to see whose cornbread was the best. Any guesses? (my recipe includes a cake mix :) and they looked super cute in mini bundt cake molds) I also made pumpkin bars with loads of cream cheese frosting because one of the Elders is allergic to chocolate. He probably ate half the pan of pumpkin bars. Yay!

We spent the evening having a Cranium showdown with the Elders interspersed with LOTS of running to the door to pass out candy. I got a really good workout.


After the Elders left, we camped out by the door and passed out more candy. Andrew kept telling us to "shhhh!" so that he could listen for the trick or treaters. He didn't want to wear anything Halloweeny- he liked his Sunday shirt- so we just went with it.


We goofed around, built block towers, and cuddled while we waited.




It is nice that Andrew is still a little clueless and had no idea that he was missing out on not going trick-or-treating. Opening and closing our door and greeting his "friends" was way too cool. He hasn't really been excited about the eating candy aspect of Halloween very much either. He is more of a hoarder. He wants to have it in his pumpkin. He roamed around the house playing pretend "trick or treat" all afternoon. The three candies he has tried this Halloween season and has really loved are lemon heads, candy corn, and smarties... but even then, he'd rather give them than eat them. I dumped all of his candy from the ward party last night into our buckets and gave it away today. He won't even notice and won't ever ask about it.

Back to our relaxing night...
Around 8:15pm the doorbell stopped ringing and the little man hit the sack.

The highlight of the evening was when Andrew was manning the door and shouting greetings/goodbyes to the trick-or-treaters. I videotaped him a little bit because he was so adorable. The teenagers loved him. Here are my favorite video clips.




Earlier today we sorted our candy into "tier 1" and "tier 2" buckets. We fortunately only made it through the two "tier 2" buckets... so Kevin and I are excited to have lots of "tier 1" treats to snack on all next week :) I didn't buy our Halloween candy until Thursday or Friday... so we aren't candied out yet (which is a first). I have a feeling by Wednesday I will want all the candy out of the house though!

I am somewhat happy to be done with Halloween... and am so excited to start decorating and planning for Thanksgiving tomorrow!

2 comments:

E J said...

I love how he is yelling trick or treat through the door in the first video. So cute!

Liz said...

Sounds like fun!! Those mummy cookies are adorable. And, I might need the cornbread recipe that includes a cake mix?! That's crazy!

Andrew is co cute passing out candy. It is kind of shocking to hear that he wasn't really interested in candy considering who his mom is!!