Pages

Sunday, September 5, 2010

Demolition time... and some other fun Saturday activities

We are upgrading our closets... so we got started on demolition work yesterday.

First, I cleaned everything out of Andrew's closet- mostly toys. He now has a very fun temporary playroom in the living room.

Peek-a-boo!

Then Kevin got to work taking apart the closet with his crowbar.

Almost done...

While Kevin did demo, I cleaned out the closet in Caitlin's room and organized files. It was all very exciting. ;) Right now Caitlin's closet is my teacher closet. Fortunately I have two closets in my bathroom, so one of them that is currently a disaster (but mostly empty) will soon be home to all these teacher materials (once Kevin builds me some new shelves).


While we worked, Andrew played with every random thing that he found. He was especially excited about the Easter baskets. So much so, he brought all three of them to church today.



We also found our Halloween costumes from last year... which will probably be re-used this year... and maybe next? (there is definitely a benefit to buying costumes that are too big!)..


Closet demolition complete! Next Kevin gets to patch up a few things and then the painters can come paint the walls, inside of the closet, and the new closet doors...

Little dude was a little sad that his mirrored doors were gone. He kept saying, "put my doors back!"... but now he's over it.


Kevin & Andrew also spent the morning at Lowes getting paint samples mixed. We picked three colors for each room and are now in the process of trying to decide which colors we like the best. We have several painted paper samples on each wall and we move them around and check them out throughout the day. It is amazing how different the paint colors can look in the morning versus late afternoon. I nixed one of the pink colors immediately because it is too dark for me. Can you tell which one?


And the blue colors in Andrew's room are almost all exactly alike, so it really isn't going to matter much which one we pick... we just need to pick one. They are only subtly different.


While the boys were out at Lowes and running other errands, I spent Saturday morning working on curriculum projects. I love how all the teachers finally figured out what they need for next week on Friday afternoon... making my "Labor Day" holiday weekend filled with lots of laboring!

After about two and a half hours, the boys returned with paint samples and a new fish!


Sneaky Andrew... maybe concocting his next plan to help the fish escape?


We are still working on names for the fish. Andrew seems to think "three" should be his name. Kevin and I both want to veto numbers as names.


After lots of demo work and organizing, I went on a beautiful late afternoon run. The beauty of it was only slightly tarnished by the thirteen year-old boys I ran past that started laughing hysterically and making fun of the large running pregnant woman. Very classy guys... but then, when are thirteen year-old boys typically classy, right? I did look pretty ridiculous after all.

Our Saturday night was wrapped up with a trip to Papa Johns followed by another trip to Lowes. We will be spending a lot of time over the next month or two at this store and I love it... especially the closet organizing aisle... and the DIY book/magazine section in the front.


Little man got to stay up far too late eating pizza in his stroller and running around the aisles while we tried to decide what we want to do with the insides of our closets. Kevin vetoed letting me walk around the store with the whole pizza box (can you say white trash?)... so we ate most of it in the car before we went into the store... and Andrew only brought in a piece or two. Before we went home I actually saw another guy walk into the store holding a pizza box and head off to do his shopping. Maybe next time we can try it? :)

Little dude was also sooo excited about the huge Halloween displays with lots of spiders. I can't believe Halloween stuff is already out!


After Andrew crashed at home, we stayed up way too late designing what we want to do with our closets on some fun online design website... and then once it hit almost midnight we finally started prepping our lessons for Sunday. Wow! What a long day... and today felt equally as busy.

I think long vacation weekends are more exhausting that the usual week day! Fortunately I let Kevin sleep in on Saturday morning... so tomorrow is my day! :)

2 comments:

Liz said...

How fun to be doing nesting before Caitlin arrives! I can't wait to see the finished rooms and closets.

I can't believe you didn't get to take the pizza box in to Lowe's!! :)

Kara said...

The closet demo looked like it went pretty well. I'm putting my vote in that carrying a pizza box into Lowe's and eating/shopping is totally okay (especially for a pregnant woman). I'm excited to see how the rooms turn out once they're painted. I loved your phrase about 13 year old boys. Classy is definitely not a word I would use to describe them :)