Pages

Sunday, September 19, 2010

Set up

On Wednesday we had our first virtues class of the year. We stopped going for awhile last year because I didn't think Andrew was old enough to handle the topics they were covering. He still isn't, but I thought we'd go for the social aspect. Most of the other kids are 3.5-5 years old.

This week the class was in a big open field...


and they gave the kids balloons to hold when they arrived...


and then we had a lesson about "unity" and did a few fun activities... like making a sun with streamers. The first two things (open field & balloon) were enough to basically ruin the focus of every kid in the class for the entire time. Balloons kept popping, kids kept running... it was pretty funny.



Little dude loved it when they passed a big blue ball around...


... and then after 40 minutes of hanging out on the rug, they read the kids a story. Andrew was done by that point and ran off and hid behind a tree. I was impressed he'd kept it together and participated for as long as he did. I felt bad because it felt like I kind of set him up for failure...

After about an hour of class, they turned the time over to me to lead the arts & crafts portion (they unofficially put me in charge of the art portion of the class each week from now on). Andrew wasn't the only kid that was done by that point... but we muddled through it after some laps around the field.

The kids made cute Fall Unity Wreathes


Andrew gave himself a break from the madness (some of the other moms didn't "get it" that he is 2 years younger than everyone else and couldn't understand why he was running around everywhere and not with the group).


This was his wreath :)


I finally got the little dude back with the group for snack time... though I didn't really care. The afternoon reminded me that I need to a do a better job at not setting Andrew up... and not setting myself up for frustration. It is so easy to worry about what other mom's think... even when their expectations for little kids aren't developmentally appropriate... and then it is easy to get frustrated at your own kid... when really, you shouldn't be. Fortunately I figured that out pretty early into the class. We might only be going for my arts & crafts time from now on :)
A 20-30 min class is long enough!

The kids were darling though and the moms were appreciative of my help... but I think some of them just don't understand little boys (there were only 2 boys at class this week)... or maybe can't remember what their kid was like at age 2.5?


That night I just reminded myself to cherish the enthusiastic and active little boy that I have been blessed with... and enjoy every minute. I already think time is flying by way too fast. Why would I want a dud for a kid anyway, right?

2 comments:

Liz said...

I'm shocked Andrew lasted 40 minutes on the blanket. George would have lasted 4. Boys need to run and play and be free. They will have enough sitting and listening and structure once they get into school (kindergarten). There is NO need to try to rush anything. I say more play!!

E J said...

You're so right Kristina! It is amazing at what 1 year or even half of a year makes when kids are under 5. Still - it's hard when you're worried (as much as you know you're not supposed to) about what other people are thinking. You are a wonderful mom to a great little boy!