Pages

Thursday, September 2, 2010

Paint Fairy Anyone?


Getting fed up over here with the details of trying to paint the kid rooms at our house. I kind of just want to paint them myself at this point... except I'm too lazy and trying to get them perfect would drive me crazy.

Estimate #1 came in SO insanely high that you would think the guy was going to paint everyone in the neighborhood's bedrooms.

Estimate #2 came in higher than I wanted and the guy just said, "uh huh, uh huh" and didn't really listen to what I was saying. I typed up an entire page detailing what I want done EXACTLY so that there were no misunderstanding... and the guy wouldn't even look at it. Weird. He was in and out in less than 10 minutes, gave me an estimate right there... but then wanted to know what the other estimates were. I think he'd lower his price in a heartbeat if I said anything negative about his price.

Estimate #3 is coming tomorrow. The guy is supposed to be really cheap... but I'm OCD, so I don't know if I want really cheap because I'm worried that cheap might not equal careful and neat.

We went back to Estimate guy #1 and basically told him he was crazy... I think he's testing out the waters in our supposedly high scale neighborhood to see what people will pay (since people pay way too much for things around here). So, after talking to him, he basically told us to name our price.

Hmm... so he was being dishonest and now he'll be cheap too?... Do I want him at my house?

I'm not a fan of these sort of games.

The other entertaining part of this estimate ordeal is how Andrew's volume increases by thousands of decibels when these painters are in our house trying to talk to me. I feel a migraine coming on. I'm sure it is a great way to learn how he'll act when baby Caitlin arrives and he's not getting the attention he wants.

All I want is for the rooms to be magically painted sometime next week. Anyone know of a paint fairy? ;)

5 comments:

Ashley said...

I have no painter advice for you, but I can relate to your pain. I so wanted household stuff DONE when I was pregnant. There is an urgency there and it stinks when you can't just do it all on your own timetable. I can also relate on the noisy toddler front . . . it's exhausting. Like, really exhausting.

Liz said...

Have Kevin invite some guy friends over, you make a ton of treats, and you a throw a paint party!

Scott Smith said...

You should invite 2 painters over at the same time - and be like "oops". then have a bidding war.

Brooke said...

My paint fairies are my parents- they were great! I only helped a little and we had two rooms painted and done before they left. Just put your family to work if they are ever visiting, they won't mind ;) Also- whenever Blake is around contractors/movers who come to the house, it's like a flip is switched and he goes nuts! Good luck with it all- I have so many projects to do too!

The Mostess said...

Stay away from the shady people at all costs--you will pay for it in the end!

That being said--you get what you pay for, so be prepared to pay for quality work. Cheap people=cheap job. It's kind of a no-win situation.

Do you want the name of the painters my friends just used with good results?