Pages

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

A Silver Lining

I spent Sunday teaching the YW at church all about Optimism. I made cute little magnets for all of them that said "Come what may and love it"... and then on Monday I got slammed with the worst fever/cold I've had in awhile.


I am trying to put everything I taught them into practice. It has been tough. I have little tolerance for sick people... or for myself being sick. Usually I try and pretend I am not sick and it goes away.

This week that plan is not working. Might have something to do with the NyQuil and Sudafed that I can't take.

As a mom I don't exactly get to take a sick day. Yesterday I found a cozy fleece blanket and pillow and followed Andrew around the house while "we" played. I attempted to sneak in naps while he wasn't looking. His favorite new game is building towers. I build them, he knocks them down with tennis balls. I built really tall ones hoping that they would take awhile to fall down so that I could sleep.

Today we couldn't stay in the house any longer. We went to three parks and music class. I avoided touching anyone or coughing on anyone. He relished the fact that I have no voice and was too lazy to chase him around at class and was a little crazy.

When I thought about it getting dark around 5pm I was worried we'd go insane at home... so we headed off to Super Franks. I've raved about this place before... but it is even better than I remembered (especially for a sick mom).


I sat in a cozy booth enjoying a hot cocoa... far away from anyone else so that they couldn't see the mounds of used tissues around me or hear me hacking up a lung. I read magazines and blogs on my Google Reader and sent emails. I also sat right by the hand sanitizer and lathered myself (and Andrew) up often.

Andrew played on tricycles, jumped on trampolines, went down the bouncy slides, bopped balloons, make friends with lots of dads, and did a gazillion other things... and he only came back and visited me about every 30 minutes. We were there from 5-7pm. The servers also delivered him dinner. It was heaven.

On our drive home he just said again and again, "Thank you Mom!"

Definitely the silver lining portion of the day- we might be spending tomorrow night there as well... since I thought Kevin got Veteran's Day off... but I guess not! :(

3 comments:

Jess said...

what good is it having a sister that lives close if you don't call her for help when you are super sick! silly tina.

delikk said...

Sounds like the perfect babysitter! I need to find one of those places near me.

FEEL BETTER!!

Jenny said...

aw that's the worst being out of commission as a mom, because like you said, you can't be out of commission. maybe you could get kevin to take one of his six weeks of paternity days before the baby comes haha....i doubt they would allow that.