Pages

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Wrapping up my NYC Trip

I was just looking back through my NYC trip photos and realized I didn't finish all my posts!

One of the highlights of my trip was spending a short lunch break with my good friend Kathren. As always, we didn't have enough time to hang out, but we managed to have a great time eating and chatting and catching up. She is due with her baby boy Will right around the same time as baby Caitlin is set to make her appearance. I hope they will be good little buddies.


We met at the World Financial Center and ate lunch at Cosi (one of my favorite sandwich places). Then we shopped around the WFC until Kath's lunch break was over. I took the ferry across the river to Jersey City with her and then we said our goodbyes and I headed back across to Lower Manhattan.


The views of Manhattan from Jersey City were fabulous that day, so we took a few pictures of our pregnant selves :)


and the scenery



After my visit with Kathren, I headed over to the West Village to embark on my cupcake tasting contest of the week. My first stop was Magnolia Bakery. Unfortunately they were all out of the red velvet that Kevin wanted to try... but I grabbed a few other cupcakes and then crashed on a bench in the park across the street and enjoyed doing some people watching. I was still exhausted from my morning run along the East River.


I wandered around the West Village and Soho and then made my way over to the Village to check out Crumbs Bake Shop.


We went to Crumbs on our last NYC trip (Chocolate tour girls weekend), but I wanted to sample some different cupcakes and add them into our cupcake tasting contest... and I wanted Kevin to get a chance to try them. I also tried out a different location, since Crumbs has stores all over the city. The store I chose had a nice cafe seating area, so I plopped down and relaxed and enjoyed a cupcake while I pondered my next stop.


The red velvet one was huge (top right)!


Instead of hopping on the subway, I decided to walk the 20 blocks back to my hotel. After walking virtually all day, I got back to the hotel, read The Help for a little bit and crashed hard. I was so dead to the world that I didn't even hear Kevin get home from work.

The next day (after my morning Central Park jogging adventure), I headed back uptown to explore some stores. I started at the American Girl Doll Store on 5th Avenue.


I probably spent an hour roaming around. The store is adorable and will be the perfect place to take Caitlin someday when she is a little older. I got Andrew (and Caitlin's) Itty Bitty Baby a new outfit and then headed off along 5th Avenue to explore some more.

Mostly I just browsed and then eventually wound my way over to Dylan's Candy Bar. It is like my mecca- it houses over 5,000 different kinds of candy.


It is owned by Dylan Lauren (daughter of Ralph Lauren)... you can read more about the history of the store here. I love this place. I spent an hour trying to decide what to bring back for Andrew... and I took a little sitting break in the cafe on the top floor to get hot cocoa. It was monstrous. I made it through some of the whipped cream and marshmallows and a little bit of the hot cocoa before I was completely SICK to my stomach!


PS- I think Crumbs won out in our cupcake taste-testing contest this time around. The Magnolia Bakery frosting was too sugary for me (surprising)... might have been different if we'd gotten to try the red velvet cupcakes too. I still prefer Sprinkles cupcakes over both Crumbs and Magnolia though.

We definitely had a good time tasting all the cupcakes nonetheless!

Our NYC trip was a blast. I know I will relish every moment of sleep and 1:1 time I had with Kevin over the next few months as our lives change a little bit and they become a little crazier (or I do... once I am sleep deprived :)).

No comments: