Pages

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Music Makers

We got invited by one of my friends at church to start attending a weekly Music Makers class. The kids each bring an instrument and a puppet. I have been so excited about going to the class all week.

Of course we got lost on the way there, since it was our first time... and we showed up about 10 minutes late. It is an hour class, so that was fine. We plopped down to start singing but Andrew man started acting like this the moment we sat down.


There was no negotiating. He was in full on tantrum mode. I took him out in the hall and he kept saying "all done" and "park" and crying. I kept trying to entice him to go back in to join the singing (since I knew once he got in there he would love it- they were singing all his favorite songs)... but he wouldn't have it.

I sat on the hall floor and thought, "Seriously, I drove all the way over here and now we'll have to go home?" I was annoyed and a tear or two crept out. This class wasn't just for him, it was a place where I could meet some new friends. I said a little prayer and decided to keep at it.

I danced in the hall to the songs as he ran around. I gave him a play by play of what the kids were doing and finally once they started banging on instruments his curiosity was piqued. I left the door partway open and he kept watching. His friends in the class kept beckoning him to come join them. Finally, he found a cool instrument shaker thing a kid had dropped on the floor and he was in. YAY!
The class was so darling. There were about 10 moms and maybe 15 kids around Andrew's age. The teacher was so animated and friendly. They sang the cutest Thanksgiving songs... she probably had 15-20 songs. My favorite was a version of Andrew's "clap clap" song called, "If you're thankful and you know it."
After singing and marching to music, they played with the parachute and did Ring around the Rosy. At the very end, they had snacks and read Thanksgiving stories. By this point Andrew's anxiety had gone away and he was so excited about cuddling with me, checking out the other kids, and eating his crackers. The books had such great messages and pictures.

Here are a few of the ones we'll be checking out from the library this week to read again:

Thanks for Thanksgiving by Julie Markes


Thank You Bear by Greg Foley

1,2,3 Thanksgiving! by W. Nikola-Lisa

Over the River: A Turkey's Tale by Derek Anderson
Today I am so grateful for little prayers that work and my church for having amazing people who organize such fun activities for little kids...and moms (for free).

I am so excited for next month when we'll be singing Christmas music!

No comments: