Pages

Monday, March 7, 2011

Vocal Point Alumni Weekend

When Kevin was in college he was a member of BYU's a cappella group, Vocal Point. This weekend the group celebrated their 20th anniversary and had a big reunion show in Provo. We couldn't miss out... so we headed to Utah last Thursday for a Vocal Point filled weekend.

(Kevin back when he was part of the 2002-2004 group - take note of the crazy tie... you will see it later)


On Thursday we flew to Utah. We had to document Caitlin's first flight, so we snapped a few pictures. She was an angel baby on the way there and slept the entire 2 hrs.


Andrew is also at the perfect flying age (other than a few kicks to the person in front of him's seat :))... and just watched a show and ate snacks the whole flight. My arm was insanely tired after holding Cate for 2hrs... but that ended up being a trend that continued all weekend.


Cate was so adorable when she woke up after our flight and just couldn't stop smiling.


Thursday night we arrived at my parent's house and were greeted with lots of Papa John's pizza and black & white cookies, courtesy of Dan & Maddie. The kids played and we had fun chatting with everyone until bedtime.

Kevin spent the entire day on Friday rehearsing for the big alumni reunion show- 9am-4pm. His vocal chords were so exhausted by the end of the day!

In the meantime, I had a blast with Caitlin, Andrew, and Madeline back at my mom's house (Elise was in Vegas for a HS lacrosse tournament).

Breakfast buddies (I love this pic of Maddie smiling)


Andrew wouldn't eat until his buddy was sitting next to him


After breakfast, Andrew went off on an adventure with Grandpa (Will's Pit Stop for slurpees and rock throwing in the Provo River)...


while the girls went off on a jog



Maddie was super cute with Caitlin and I can't wait to see what a great big sister she is in May! Maddie liked to sit with Caitlin... but her favorite thing to do was bring Caitlin toys and give her her pacifier!



During the day on Friday I did some fun activities with the kiddos and Grandma got to cuddle with Caitlin.


We did a little cupcake painting and a game. Andrew and Maddie were adorable to watch as they played together... and as they argued from time to time. I can tell they are going to be good friends as they grow up! Maddie calls me "Mama Tina" because I look like Elise and because "Tina" is easier to say than "Kristina." I loved it!


On Friday afternoon, Andrew enjoy some playtime at Grandma Shari's house with his cousins and Aunt Liesl while I hung out with the sleeping girls and got ready for the evening.

On Friday night, Kevin and I headed to a Vocal Point alumni banquet at BYU in the Sky Room. Caitlin came with us and loved schmoozing with all of Kevin's buddies and their wives. She outweighed and was taller than most of the 6 and 8 month babies there.



At the end of the night, all the alumni got stylin ties as little present...


I think I liked the new one a lot more than the old one that made a comeback for the evening :)

The rest of the weekend wasn't very well documented because I totally forgot to bring my camera... but on Saturday we went and watched Kevin perform with 74 Vocal Point alumni at the Covey Center and bring the house down. Kev's group was amazing and sang "I'm a believer" and the "12 Days of Christmas (Vocal Point style)..." in addition to performing some whole group numbers with all the guys.

I also LOVED getting to see the reunion of the 2006 Vocal Point group that Kevin and I watched perform in Lincoln Center the night they won the ICCA World Championship. They performed their winning number, "He is Born" and words can't express how beautiful it was. Caitlin loved the music so much that she slept through the entire 2.5 hr concert. :)

Earlier in the day Andrew got to go with Shari to the VP sound check and was in awe. He came home yelling, "I saw my daddy DANCING! and singing Rudolph!" He was definitely impressed. Andrew, Caitlin, grandpa, and I also enjoyed some Cafe Rio for lunch. Yum! I've been missing that place. Cate was not a fan though... screamed on our way there and almost didn't let me go in.


Saturday evening we hung out with the Buskirk/Johnson clan for dinner and dessert before the evening VP show. Shari made a gazillion desserts, including my favorite mint brownies. After dinner, Andrew was babysat by two of his cousins while we went to watch the current Vocal Point group perform. The concert was a little over 2 hours. They almost didn't let me bring Caitlin in... but fortunately they were persuaded. She was pretty well behaved and slept a good chunk of the concert. My arm was dead after holding her for 2 hrs at the afternoon concert and 2 hrs at the evening concert. She is a chunker! We got back to Shari's house around 10:30pm and found Andrew fast asleep on the couch! We told Brett that he earned the best babysitter EVER award.


Kevin thought he looked so adorable and had so snap some pictures.


Saturday night was a bit rough for the little man (though Cate slept like a champ our entire vacation), so we all slept in until 9:30am on Sunday. It was heavenly. While we rushed around getting packed to come home on Sunday morning, Andrew kept himself entertained (and had to wear his golf hat).


It was so fun to reunite with all of Kevin's Vocal Point friends and their wives and see Kevin perform (since I never saw a VP show when I was at BYU).

The weekend went by far too quickly and was exhausting! I need a vacation now from our vacation! Unfortunately the little people didn't get the memo and kept me up lots last night.

Looking forward to the 25 anniversary VP alumni weekend in 2016!

No comments: