Pages

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Andrew vs. Uncle Danny...

Coach Danny... actually, but Andrew has been calling him "Uncle Danny." I think he was a little confused when I told him his swimming coach was named Danny. He was hoping we were going on a plane to Utah (since he loves his Uncle Dan).

After today, he probably won't confuse the two any more... Coach Danny = torture... Uncle Danny = motorcycles, cool presents, and fun.

Andrew had his first swimming lesson today. I knew it was going to be tough. He was unaware of what was coming in this picture :) 


Innocently, he went to the pool to meet his coach (in the rain, mind you). It all looked like fun and games... until Coach Danny actually didn't let him be in charge. My poor stubborn little boy screamed and cried for the full 15 minute lesson.


He wasn't the only kid crying, but it was still a little sad...


He basically worked on putting his hands on the top of the sides of the pool (though he tried to escape and climb out of the pool every time they tried this one)... and closing his mouth when his head went under water. Eventually he started listening... after fighting it for 10-12 minutes... but he still didn't stop screaming and crying.


I wanted to step in and help him understand that he just needed to make it through 15 minutes... Who knew 15 minutes could last so long? :)


I am really excited for him to get through the first few weeks (he has class two times a week) and get past the "I need to be in charge of everything and call the shots" phase. I'm sure he was scared too... but the coach was really nice, patient, and focused... and didn't let him get away with what he wanted (which was to escape from something new, hard, and different from what he wanted to do).

To be honest, I'm kind of excited to see the new confident Andrew that emerges once he conquers this little challenge.

1 comment:

Jess said...

I don't know whether to laugh or cry at that list picture. Both boys look so sad it break my heart... but what they are doing is so fun and they just haven't realized it yet. Silly Andrew-man.