Pages

Friday, February 25, 2011

Chats


One of my favorite people to chat with on the phone is my dad (and of course Elise and mom too :)). He is one of the most selfless and optimistic people that I know. This afternoon we chatted about one of the recent articles that he sent me... that I really loved. The message was beautiful and related to recent challenges one of his friends has been going through.

If you know about my dad's Parkinsons, then you know he has his own challenges. Yet he wouldn't trade them for someone else's challenges... and he even acknowledges many of the blessings that have come from his disease. Something I think I would have a hard time doing!

My favorite quote in the article is copied below. It is such a great reminder... one that I could use every day... especially since I don't have any major hardships and still tend to focus inwardly too often.

I’m an optimistic person. But for the first time in my life, with all my problems, I focused more and more on me—and it was depressing, literally. Sometimes I just wanted to quit trying to learn and speak and write again and just go into my basement and build furniture. I learned an important lesson from this. I learned that focusing on my own problems does not bring happiness. God didn’t say, “Okay. For those with problems it’s okay to focus on yourself. And for those who don’t have problems, I want you to focus on helping others.” Even in dire times God does not exempt me from his commandment to focus my life on others, because it transforms hardship to joy." - Clayton Christensen

I thought this was a great reminder for a rainy Friday afternoon.

We don't get to "take a pass" or a break just because life might be hard from time to time (or even always hard). There are specific things we are here on Earth to accomplish. If we don't do them... they won't get done. That concept really makes me feel exhausted sometimes... but very blessed as well. Blessed to have the knowledge that my life has a purpose.

Happy Friday! :)

We're off to go on a birthday present scavenger hunt with Andrew! Three year-olds sure make life more joyful than it would be otherwise! When I told him we were doing a hunt after his nap he said, "Oh thank you mom! That is so kind of you!"

3 comments:

julie smith said...

Kristina, Give Andrew a hug from "papa" and grandma Julie. He is such a sweet, thoughtful and grateful little boy. You are doing an amazing job raising him along with your wonderful husband. He is truly a joy in our lives. Can't wait to see all of you next weekend.

Jenny said...

love that quote! i am really good at throwing myself pity parties sometimes, but it never makes me happy and the faster i snap out of it the better.

your dad really is so great! i seriously feel so lucky to have the best family.

Liz said...

Thanks for sharing! Such an important reminder that I've been needing.

I LOVE Andrew's cute response!!